Laser Therapy in Treating Neuro-Musculoskeletal Disorders
High Power-Pulsed Laser Therapy in Treating Neuro-Musculoskeletal Disorders
High Power-Pulsed Laser Therapy (HPPLT) is classified as an actinotherapy meaning it results in a chemical and metabolic change in living tissue – this is called photobiomodulation.
HPPLT can facilitate the healing and regeneration of living tissue. HPPLT has shown to inhibit scar tissue formation, at the same time, stimulating collagen, elastin and fibrocartilage growth. As a result, most tissues heal twice as strong as natural healing due to the lack of non-functional adhesions and scar tissue formation.
HPPLT can also heal disc pathology. The outer 1/3 of the intervertebral disc is vascularized, HPPLT can stimulate neo-capillary growth and fibroblast proliferation causing the disc to become more elastic and resilient. No other therapy or modality can achieve these desired effects.
Additionally, HPPLT activates stem cells, as well as osteoblasts in bone. Fractures heal in half the time with less chance of non-union.
Today, High Power-Pulsed Laser Therapy is considered the best and safest treatment available for nerve pathology. Photo-modulation with HPPLT causes increased intraneural blood flow and accelerated peripheral nerve regeneration – this translates into decreased numbness, tingling, pain and balance disturbances.
How To Integrate Laser Therapy into your Medical Practice
A. Laser as a Stand-alone Modality: As an alternative treatment option to stem cell therapy, laser therapy treatment costs are less expensive to the patient, can be administered by a medical assistant and might even provide better clinical outcomes.
B. Administering Laser Therapy Treatment Post Stem Cell Therapy: Integrating laser therapy treatment with stem cell treatment will enhance tissue regeneration at the onset.
C. Administering Laser Therapy Treatment Post Stem Cell Therapy for Longer Term Maintenance: Laser therapy treatments are an effective long-term maintenance therapy post stem cells therapy. The cost to the patient is minimal compared to having to repeat stem cell injections.
Below is a list of pertinent medical literature supporting the use of laser therapy to treat Neuro-Musculoskeletel Disorders:
- Lasers Med Sci. 2018 Jan;33(1):95-102. doi: 10.1007/s10103-017-2355-y. Epub 2017 Oct 12. Low-level laser irradiation induces in vitro proliferation of stem cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth.
- Ginani F1, Soares DM2, de Oliveira Rocha HA3, de Souza LB1,4, Barboza CAG5,6. Stem Cell Rev. 2018 Aug;14(4):585-598. doi: 10.1007/s12015-017-9796-3. Beneficial Role of Low-Intensity Laser Irradiation on Neural β-tubulin III Protein Expression in Human Bone Marrow Multipotent Mesenchymal Stromal cells.
- 3. Elbaz-Greener G1,2,3, Sud M3, Tzuman O1,2, Leitman M1,2, Vered Z1,2, Ben-Dov N4, Oron U5, Blatt A1,2. J Cell Physiol. 2013 Jan;228(1):172-81. doi: 10.1002/jcp.24119. Photo-activation of bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells with diode laser: effects and mechanisms of action.
- Giannelli M1, Chellini F, Sassoli C, Francini F, Pini A, Squecco R, Nosi D, Bani D, Zecchi-Orlandini S, Formigli L. IEEE J Sel Top Quantum Electron. 2016 May-Jun;22(3). pii: 7000417. doi: 10.1109/JSTQE. 2016.2561201. Proposed Mechanisms of Photo-biomodulation or Low-Level Light Therapy.
- de Freitas LF1, Hamblin MR2. PLoS One. 2017 Jun 8;12(6):e0179175. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0179175. eCollection 2017. Low level laser (LLL) attenuate LPS-induced inflammatory responses in mesenchymal stem cells via the suppression of NF-κB signaling pathway in vitro.
- Yin K1, Zhu R1, Wang S1, Zhao RC1. J Cell Physiol. 2018 Oct;233(10):7026-7035. doi: 10.1002/jcp.26626. Epub 2018 May 10. Photo-biomodulation therapy and vitamin C on longevity of cell sheets of human dental pulp stem cells.
- Pedroni ACF1, Diniz IMA1,2, Abe GL1, Moreira MS3, Sipert CR1, Marques MM1. Int J Mol Med. 2018 Oct;42(4):2107-2119. doi: 10.3892/ijmm.2018.3804. Epub 2018 Aug 2. High-fluence lowpower laser irradiation promotes odontogenesis and inflammation resolution in periodontitis by enhancing stem cell proliferation and differentiation.
- Hou T1, Li S2, Zhang G2, Li Y1. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2018 May;182:77-84. doi: 10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2018.03.015. Epub 2018 Mar 22. Combined effects of photo-biomodulation and alendronate on viability of osteoporotic bone marrow- derived mesenchymal stem cells.
- Fallahnezhad S1, Amini A1, Hajihossainlou B2, Chien S3, Dadras S4, Rezaei F5, Bayat M6. Lasers Med Sci. 2018 Sep 19. doi: 10.1007/s10103-018-2638-y. [Epub ahead of print] Effect of photobiomodulation on neural differentiation of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells.